Easter lilies can be lethal to cats

Lilies can cause life-threatening renal injury to cats. The Veterinary Poisons Information Service (VPIS) in the UK have identified lily intoxication amongst the top five serious intoxications of cats, and indeed it currently generates the greatest number of feline toxicological enquiries.

If you have cats it is best not to have Lilies in the house. Even eating a small portion of an Easter lily can cause kidney failure and death.  All parts of the lily can be toxic, and eating just a portion of one leaf can result in severe poisoning. After eating a portion of an Easter lily, a cat will generally vomit and become depressed within 2 hours. The vomiting may subside, but the cat will not eat and continue to become more depressed.

Easter lilies can be dangerous

 

The prognosis for cats and kittens with lily toxicity is reasonable if the affected cat is presented immediately following ingestion. But owners unaware of the toxic potential of lilies may present their cat only after renal failure has developed. Despite aggressive treatment, it is often too late.

Prompt care can sometimes lessen the damage done by the toxin. Please seek veterinary care immediately if you suspect lily ingestion.

Easter flowers

admin

LoveCATS World Admin

You may also like...

Shares