Keep your cats safe on July 4th
More pets run away during the week of July Fourth than any other time of year. Keep your cats safe indoors with these few useful tips.
- Give your cat a good play session before people come over for any celebrations.
- Ask guests to keep an eye out for your cat during the party, to be sure that she doesn’t slip through unwatched doors.
- Keep fireworks, charcoal, sparklers and glow sticks far from curious cats.
- Before guests arrive or fireworks begin, place your cat in a safe, comfortable and escape-proof room. Make sure to put a note on the door warning guests not to let your cat wander out.
- If your cat is afraid of loud noises, leave gentle music playing to cover the sound of the fireworks.
- Be sure your cat is wearing an up-to-date and visible ID tag on her collar at all times. Also, check that her microchip has your current information. Have you microchipped your cat?
- Take a current photo of your cat before the party, just in case.