More pets run away during the week of July Fourth than any other time of year. Keep your cats safe indoors with these few useful tips.
- Give your cat a good play session before people come over for any celebrations.
- Ask guests to keep an eye out for your cat during the party, to be sure that she doesn’t slip through unwatched doors.
- Keep fireworks, charcoal, sparklers and glow sticks far from curious cats.
- Before guests arrive or fireworks begin, place your cat in a safe, comfortable and escape-proof room. Make sure to put a note on the door warning guests not to let your cat wander out.
- If your cat is afraid of loud noises, leave gentle music playing to cover the sound of the fireworks.
- Be sure your cat is wearing an up-to-date and visible ID tag on her collar at all times. Also, check that her microchip has your current information. Have you microchipped your cat?
- Take a current photo of your cat before the party, just in case.