Poisonous Holiday Plants

Bright ornamental plants are a great way to dress up the house during the holidays and a dreary winter. Pet owners should be aware, however, that many of these common plants are poisonous to pets.

Toxicity ranges from mild to severe, and the amount of plant consumed determines how sick a pet may become. In general, gastrointestinal upset is the most common finding, but if enough plant material is ingested, seizures, coma or death is possible.

Naturally curious kittens may want to sample some of the new-in-the-house greens. Dose is size-dependent, so kittens are most often at greatest risk for plant poisonings.

Poinsettia Plant
Many people associate the Poinsettia plant with extreme toxicity, but this is not entirely true.The sap of Poinsettias is considered to be mildly toxic/irritating, and will probably cause nausea or vomiting, but not death. It is better to err on the side of caution, though, and keep pets away from this plant.

Mistletoe and Holly
A couple of holiday plants, specifically Mistletoe and Holly, are considered to be moderately to severely toxic, and you should call your veterinarian or poison control center immediately for specific advice.

toxic plants

admin

LoveCATS World Admin

You may also like...

Shares