Vodka drip saves Missey’s life
A cat left seriously ill after being doused by anti-freeze was saved – by vodka.
Missey the stricken moggie was attacked by cruel thugs who covered her in anti-freeze outside her home.
She was rushed to the vets where owner Paul Stephenson and daughter Sara were told vodka would help break down the poison.
Missey ended up sozzled after being fed alcohol via a drip.
But the bizarre treatment worked.
Sara, a Morrisons supervisor, said: ‘’When we heard about the treatment I was just shocked. I had no idea you could even give an animal vodka.
“Missey was totally blind drunk. She was treated over the course of two days and got through half a litre bottle of 37.9 per cent vodka.
‘’She was trying to get up, but toppled over. Her eyes were out of focus and when we took her home in a carry basket, her mouth has pressed up against the wire so it looked as though she had her teeth bared.
‘’At one point she was lying down trying to swipe at a pen and she just kept missing it, she was that out of it. It was totally mad.’’
The pie-eyed pet went first to White Cross Vets in Redcar, North Yorks, then Vets Now in Middlesbrough, where her condition was monitored 24 hours by staff.
Andrew Miller, a vet at White Cross, explained: ‘’The vodka treatment is quite unusual but is commonly used on animals who have swallowed anti-freeze. They are fed the vodka through a drip and they do get quite drunk.
“It is the ethanol used in this particular spirit which helps.
“Anti-freeze is extremely toxic to animal’s kidneys. We specifically use vodka because the ethanol in it neutralises the substance in the poison.”
He added: “Anti-freeze is life-threatening. Sadly, not all animals we have seen who have swallowed the substance make it, but if seen quickly and if they are given the vodka to react to the anti-freeze, they have a good chance of surviving.’’
The kitten is now back at her home in Redcar and being looked after by Sara, 27, and dad Paul, 47, who owns a mini-bus company.