St. Patrick’s Day is most definitely a festive celebration of Irish culture, music, and the opportunity to dress up in bright green and shamrock prints. As with any holiday, however, remember to take precautions with food and libations which may not be safe for pets to ingest.
If you plan to celebrate St. Patrick’s day at home with your cats, keep in mind these safety guidelines to ensure that everyone has a good time:
Watch the secret sippers. Alcohol is poisonous to cats, and other animals and can lead to severe illness or death. Do not leave alcoholic bottles, cans, etc. on the floor or in reach of a pet.
Although the container may seem empty, even ingesting trace amounts can cause illness in animals. If you suspect that a pet may have ingested alcohol, look for the following symptoms and seek emergency medical treatment: excessive drooling, retching, vomiting, stomach distension, elevated heart rate, weakness, low blood pressure, hypothermia, or coma.
Beware the sneaky eaters. We’ve all had it happen—turn your back for just a second and your pet starts to eat the food right off your plate! Keep food and snacks out of paws reach because many party foods can be hazardous to cats and dogs.
Though you might be tempted to share your St. Patrick’s Day corned beef and cabbage with your furry friend, keep in mind corned beef contains a high amount of sodium, which isn’t good for cats or dogs. Onions—a frequent ingredient in many corned beef and cabbage recipes—can also damage a cat’s red blood cells, restricting its capacity to carry oxygen effectively.
Source: Animal Rescue League of Boston